How to make perfect vegetable upma
Semolina/Rawa (not very coarse): 2 cups
Water: 4 cups
Cabbage: small piece
Frozen green peas: 2 tablespoons
Ginger: 1 spoon
Green chillies: chopped, to taste
Cashew nuts/ground nuts (optional): a few
Oil: 1-2 tablespoon
Mustard seeds: 1 spoon
Cumin seeds: ½ spoon
Turmeric (optional – Some people love the golden yellow upma while others prefer white): half spoon
Salt: to taste
Coriander: chopped, little
Ghee: 1 spoon
The trick in this recipe is that if you are not using very coarse semolina, you don’t have to roast it before-hand. You can add it straight out of the packet to boiling water, saving yourself time!
Finely chop onion, ginger, chilli and cabbage and keep them aside. Peel and grate 1-2 carrots.
In a large pan, heat 2 spoons of oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cashews, ground nuts, chopped ginger and chilli. When the seeds splutter, add chopped onion and sauté it. When the onion becomes transluscent, add carrots, peas and cabbage. Add a little more oil and sauté all the veggies. Meanwhile, chop a tomato. Now add 4 cups of water to the veggies and add salt to taste.
Add the chopped tomatoes and bring the water to boil on medium flame.
Once the water begins to boil, check if the veggies are fully cooked and taste for salt and heat.
More like this
Simmer the hob and slowly add semolina to the boiling water.
Caution: the boiling water may splash, so use a big ladle or turn the hob right down to the minimum.
Stir continuously as you add the semolina so that it doesn’t form lumps. Stir until the semolina absorbs all the water and you get a lovely gooey upma consistency. Garnish it with lot of ghee and coriander. Voila! Enjoy a yummy and light meal of vegetable upma!
Health tip: Try using cous-cous once in a while instead of semolina. Follow the same process but create an even healthier dish!
If you have any exciting recipes, please feel free to share it with us. We will publish it under your byline! Write to us at
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers; Nitish Kumar quits and takes oath again as Bihar CM!
- Ram Nath Kovind is 14th Indian President after Pranab Mukherjee. Here's a list of all Indian Presidents since 1950
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet September 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Dilwale Manma Emotion song video: Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon display sizzling chemistry in hip hop number
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Kodi Promotions: Trisha Krishnan’s glamourous looks for Kodi promotional activities
- Pics: Mani Ratnam recreates Karthik-Radha magic with Gautam, Thulasi Nair in Kadal
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Stunning Deepika Padukone Mesmerises in Sabyasachi at GQ Fashion Nights
- Deepika Padukone's Ghoomar song and dance from Padmavati is sensational
- Bollywood Celebs' Diwali 2017 Pics: Kapoors, Bachchans and Khans and More from B-Town
- Diwali 2017 in UK: Cultural Programme at Trafalgar Square London and community celebrations
- Pics: Salman Khan in London for his Global Diversity Award