Indian tourists involved in fatal collision on M1 motorway involving minibus and 2 lorries
The tragic incident occurred just after 3am BST on Saturday – the start of the long bank holiday weekend, on the motorway near Milton Keynes. All the six men and two women who died at the scene were on the minibus from Nottingham area that had Indians. In addition, a little girl, aged 5, two women and a man are currently being treated in hospital with life-threatening or serious injuries.
The two lorry drivers – one 31-year-old from Worcestershire and another, a 53-year-old from Stoke-on-Trent, are under police custody for dangerous driving and for driving while over the legal alcohol limit.
“Officers are working to inform the next of kin of the people who died and specially-trained family liaison officers will be offering them their support," said Chief Inspector Henry Parsons, from the Joint Operations Unit for Roads Policing. "Some of those involved were visiting the UK from India and we are working to keep families abroad informed."
“This collision was deeply distressing for the members of the public who witnessed it, along with the emergency service workers who attended and displayed high levels of professionalism.
Thames Valley Police has highly trained collision investigators who, over the coming weeks and months, will work to determine what caused this tragedy.
Disturbing pictures from the accident scene show deep damage to the lorries involved - a FedEx vehicle and one belonging to AIM Logistics and a nearly crushed minibus.
The vehicles were all travelling in the same direction (southbound) between junctions 15 and 14, Thames Valley police said.
The emergency services and Highways England attended the scene and a closure was in place on the southbound carriageway between junction 15 and junction 14. This reopened shortly before 1pm and traffic congestion in the area is clearing.
Anyone with any information should contact the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101 quoting URN 203 26/8.
More like this
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers; Nitish Kumar quits and takes oath again as Bihar CM!
- Ram Nath Kovind is 14th Indian President after Pranab Mukherjee. Here's a list of all Indian Presidents since 1950
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet September 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- HBD SRK! Leading Bollywood ladies Madhuri, Katrina, Alia wish the king of romance with pics!
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Dilwale Manma Emotion song video: Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon display sizzling chemistry in hip hop number
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Deepika Padukone's Ghoomar song and dance from Padmavati is sensational
- Bollywood Celebs' Diwali 2017 Pics: Kapoors, Bachchans and Khans and More from B-Town
- Diwali 2017 in UK: Cultural Programme at Trafalgar Square London and community celebrations
- Pics: Salman Khan in London for his Global Diversity Award
- Osterley Gymkhana London hosts 70th Indian Independence Day Celebrations