India GDP grows 7.6% in 2015-16 becoming world’s fastest-growing large economy
Indian PM Modi is scheduled to officially travel to US Capital Washington DC on June 7th and 8th 2016 to meet top investors and businesses. The high growth for 2015-16 was a result of an impressive 7.9% GDP growth for quarter January-March quarter. It was up from stood 7.3% growth in the previous quarter (October-December), higher than industry analysts anticipated.
India’s strong quarterly growth figures come as its rival Asian economy China recorded its slowest growth in nearly seven years. China’s economy grew just 6.7% in its latest quarter as against India’s 7.9% growth.
According to the official figures from the Central Statistics Office of India, the sectors growing over 7% are 'financial, real estate and professional services', ‘trade, hotels, transport, communication and services related to broadcasting’, and manufacturing'. Other sectors such as ‘mining and quarrying’, ‘electricity, gas, water supply and other utility services’, ‘construction’ and ‘public administration, defence and other services’ grew 6.9%, 5.9%, 3.7% and 6.9% respectively.
The growth in the ‘agriculture, forestry and fishing’, historically considered the backbone of the Indian economy grew 1.1% demonstrating Indian economy’s transition into a services economy rather than an agricultural economy.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley who is currently at the Future of Asia conference was buoyant with the latest GDP figures. He urged top infrastructure companies in Japan to be a part of India’s growth story and said that “India can be a powerful driver” especially at a time when China is slowing down. The Indian delegates at the conference also reassured investors that there's a clear commitment from the Indian government to improve the regulatory and business environment for investors in India.
More like this
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers; Nitish Kumar quits and takes oath again as Bihar CM!
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Ram Nath Kovind is 14th Indian President after Pranab Mukherjee. Here's a list of all Indian Presidents since 1950
- Indian cabinet September 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan shows impressive aerobics poses in Jazbaa song Kahaaniyaan
- Rana Daggubati, Tamannah, Prabhas, Anushka starrer epic film Baahubali made for 2.5 billion INR releases
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Deepika Padukone's Ghoomar song and dance from Padmavati is sensational
- Bollywood Celebs' Diwali 2017 Pics: Kapoors, Bachchans and Khans and More from B-Town
- Diwali 2017 in UK: Cultural Programme at Trafalgar Square London and community celebrations
- Pics: Salman Khan in London for his Global Diversity Award
- Osterley Gymkhana London hosts 70th Indian Independence Day Celebrations