Navrangi Navratri 2016: UK Indians revel in the traditional magic of garba and dandiya in London
Navrangi Navratri garba and dandiya night events were held at Greenford Hall for the last three years but this year it was moved to Brent Civic Centre by organisers Red Lotus Events as Wembley is considered easier to commute. The London Wembley dandiya nights feature musicians from Rajkot, Ashish Dave on vocal with Pritee Varsani, the acclaimed folk singer to give UK Indians an authentic feel to their Navratri celebrations. The entrance fee for Navrangi Navratri 2016 at Brent Civic Centre is £5 per night (under 2s go free) and £45 for nine nights and Sharad Poonam.
Meanwhile, Greenford’s Jalaram Mandir is also celebrating Navratri this year like every year and is hosting Navratri Raas Garba for ten days.
Traditional dandiya and garba events are also held at Harrow Leisure Centre (Byron Hall), Kingsbury Green School, Sudbury Primary School (by Bhatia Association), and York Hall at Bethnel Green among others.
Navratri, the traditional Indian festival celebrated for nine days by worshipping goddess Durga and by participating in colourful and fun-filled garba and dandiya dance nights. Every year, UK Indians glam up in their traditional Gujrati outfit and ornaments and bring their ornamental dandiya sticks to perform the traditional raas garba dance to traditional music as well as contemporary Bollywood garba songs. They also perform Durga Pooja, aartis and have maha prasaad organised by the sponsors.
More like this
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers; Nitish Kumar quits and takes oath again as Bihar CM!
- Ram Nath Kovind is 14th Indian President after Pranab Mukherjee. Here's a list of all Indian Presidents since 1950
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet September 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Indian-origin Ranjit Boparan aka Chicken King tops UK Asian Rich List for Midlands
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Navrangi Navratri 2016: UK Indians revel in the traditional magic of garba and dandiya in London
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Pics: Salman Khan in London for his Global Diversity Award
- Osterley Gymkhana London hosts 70th Indian Independence Day Celebrations
- Indian tourists involved in fatal collision on M1 motorway involving minibus and 2 lorries
- Indian train meals not protected from rats, cockroaches, dust, insects, warn auditors