Cricket stars Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid bid adieu to Twenty20
Tendulkar played his last Twenty20 innings on Sunday as part of the Mumbai Indians team. Although Tendulkar made just 15 runs in his final innings, his career ended in style as his Mumbai Indians team won the 2013 Champions League Twenty20 by 33 runs. Earlier this year the team also won Indian Premier League trophy too.
Tendulkar, 40, previously announced his retirement from one day internationals. He is also planning to retire after his 200th Test match, he revealed.
Sachin Tendulkar planning to retire from Test cricket after playing his 200th match
The cricketing icon announced on his Facebook page that he plans to quit cricket after playing his 200th test on home soil.
“All my life I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years. It’s hard for me to imagine a life without playing cricket because it’s all I have ever done since I was 11 years old. It’s been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world.
“I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day.
His team Mumbai Indians played the Sunday T20 match against Rajasthan Royals in Delhi led by captain Rahul Dravid who too marked his retirement from the T20 format.
Rahul Dravid, labelled “The Wall” for his consistent and dependable batting performance, announced his retirement from one day internationals in 2012.
Dravid also 40, was awarded the Guard of Honour like Tendulkar.
The Sunday Twenty20 match at Ferozeshah Kotla ground between Mumbai Indians and Rajasthan Royals was an electrifying and iconic game for cricket fans as two all-time batting sensations were set to exit from the format on the same day after the same game. Both the players praised each other in their farewell speech.
Indian media paid tribute to both the cricketing icons with The Hindu saying: "It is a rare occurrence that two all-time batting greats, belonging to rival teams, exit from a popular form of cricket in the same match at the same venue.”
More like this
Indian cricket fans paid their tribute to both Tendulkar and Dravid on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook too.
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- SIIMA Awards 2015 Red Carpet Pics: Trisha, Shruti Hassan, Amy Jackson, Rana Daggubati, Hansika dazzle
- Watch Delhi bride Amisha Bhardwaj’s funky wedding dance video that is now globally viral
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- London Grenfell Tower Fire – Key facts and pics
- Cannes 2017 Photos: Bollywood’s Deepika Padukone, Aishwarya Ra Bachchan Impress
- Sizzling Deepika Padukone’s special appearance in Raabta title song trends even before release
- Finally! The official trailer of Sachin - A Billion Dreams, on India’s beloved Master Blaster
- Parineeti Chopra’s debut song in Meri Pyaari Bindu shows how multi-talented she is!