Sachin Tendulkar's official Facebook page receives a thumping welcome
Tendulkar has been recently facing unprecedented calls from his critics to retire from international cricket after failing to deliver in recent matches. However, the welcome he received on Facebook demonstrates the iconic figure he is in the world of cricket.
Also read: Sachin Tendulkar planning to retire from Test cricket after playing his 200th match
The cricketing icon announced on his Facebook page that he plans to quit cricket after playing his 200th test on home soil.
“All my life I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years. It’s hard for me to imagine a life without playing cricket because it’s all I have ever done since I was 11 years old. It’s been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world.
More like this
“I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day.
“Hello friends, I'll like to welcome you to my Facebook family,” the page’s first entry read. In his short introduction, the master blaster said that he has chased his dream of winning the Cricket World Cup for 22 years. Tendulkar’s dream came true in 2011 when India lifted the World Cup on the home soil.
“I look forward to sharing my experience with you, join me on my Facebook so that we both can share this experience and go through this journey together,” the page further read.
The official Sachin Tendulkar Facebook page also has a brief history of the master blaster's cricketing achievements and the awards he has won so far.
Earlier this year, 39-year-old Tendulkar scored his much awaited 100th international hundred in the Asia Cup match against Bangladesh. He is the first cricketer to achieve this feat. Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 15,000 runs in Test Cricket and has crossed 30,000 runs in international cricket. He also holds the world record for playing highest number of ODI and Test matches.
Tendulkar’s form and performance at the recent match against New Zealand led to many Indians question his cricketing future. But he has made it clear that retiring from cricket will be his decision alone and that he will do it when he is ready.
In June 2012, he took the oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha, becoming the first active sportsman in India to do so.
The Mumbai-based cricketer also used Facebook as a platform to praise the Indian U-19 cricketing squad and its captain Unmukt Chand for winning the Under-19 World Cup in August
Sachin Tendulkar’s Facebook page is managed by Seven3Rockers, a telecommunications company. Although, Tendulkar made a belated debuted on Facebook, he has been an avid user of micro-blogging site Twitter. In fact, he took to Twitter to welcome his followers to his Facebook page.
Find pictures, videos and Sachin’s views on cricket on the official Sachin Tendulkar Facebook page.
Related News: Salman Khan joins Facebook, receives 3 million likes.
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Watch Delhi bride Amisha Bhardwaj’s funky wedding dance video that is now globally viral
- Toilet- Ek Prem Katha Trailer: Akshay Kumar’s unique love story strikes a chord
- Rana Daggubati, Tamannah, Prabhas, Anushka starrer epic film Baahubali made for 2.5 billion INR releases
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- London Grenfell Tower Fire – Key facts and pics
- Cannes 2017 Photos: Bollywood’s Deepika Padukone, Aishwarya Ra Bachchan Impress
- Sizzling Deepika Padukone’s special appearance in Raabta title song trends even before release
- Finally! The official trailer of Sachin - A Billion Dreams, on India’s beloved Master Blaster
- Parineeti Chopra’s debut song in Meri Pyaari Bindu shows how multi-talented she is!