Keith Vaz denies wrongdoing after newspaper revealed 'suspicious' payments
According to the Daily Telegraph report, detectives found that between 1997 and 2001, hundreds of thousands of pounds were deposited into the MP’s savings and current account in addition to his salary.
More like this
The Telegraph report further suggested that a police officer termed the payments into Vaz's account as suspicious.
"They were not suspicious in any way. They relate to the sale of a family home in London, the purchase of a new family home and a drawdown of equity from my bank," said Vaz in a statement denying any wrongdoing.
"When you sell a house and you buy a new house it is normal practice for the money to be paid into your account and then paid out," he continued.
The newspaper contacted Vaz on Sunday, September 30 in relation to the police investigation. "I asked them to supply me with a copy of the report but they did not have one," Vaz added. But the newspaper did not have a copy as the report was an "internal briefing note".
"I have never had seven or eight mortgages running concurrently," he added. The implications that I then owned seven or eight properties are untrue."
“The properties I owned between 1996 and 2001 are clearly set out in the 2001-2002 inquiry,” Vaz said.
Following the 2001-2002 inquiry, several broadcasters and newspapers made extensive inquiries about the payment issues.
“My finances were discussed by every newspaper in the country for three years and were the subject of extensive examination. I have had no outside interests," Vaz said.
Amid the parliamentary inquiry into his conduct, Vaz even resigned as Europe minister from the Labour government in June 2001.
"All the properties I own apart from my family home are in the Register as they are required to be. All properties and rent received has been fully declared," the 55-year-old former minister sought to clarify.
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- SIIMA 2016 Pics: South Indian Cinema stars dazzle in Singapore for the awards red carpet
- Watch Delhi bride Amisha Bhardwaj’s funky wedding dance video that is now globally viral
- Osterley Gymkhana Indian Independence Day Celebrations 2017: London Indians to mark 70th year celebrations with biggest Indian flag painting
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- London Grenfell Tower Fire – Key facts and pics
- Cannes 2017 Photos: Bollywood’s Deepika Padukone, Aishwarya Ra Bachchan Impress
- Sizzling Deepika Padukone’s special appearance in Raabta title song trends even before release
- Finally! The official trailer of Sachin - A Billion Dreams, on India’s beloved Master Blaster
- Parineeti Chopra’s debut song in Meri Pyaari Bindu shows how multi-talented she is!