Southall gets new High Street car park but is everyone happy?
The new Southall car park was opened just last week by Councillor Julian Bell, leader of Ealing Council, along with Councillor Kamaljit Dhindsa who is the Mayor of Ealing, and local councillors and Southall shop owners.
The Southall High Street car park cost £2.5m to build and was opened in a traditional South Asian, Punjabi-style grand opening ceremony [pictured] on Friday, August 30. Mayor of Ealing Dhindsa cut open the car park ribbon amid balloons, drums and song and dance celebrations.
Prior to the new car park, the South Asians dominated area was served by just one car park in Herbert Road which is often busy and full during weekends. As many of the surrounding streets are subject to controlled parking restrictions, the shoppers and visitors drive around looking for parking spaces, increasing congestion on Southall roads.
More like this
The haphazard traffic also leads to hazardous road conditions on the busy high street and increases pollution.
“Southall is an important shopping area and this investment is crucial in supporting local traders during these tough economic times,” said councillor Bell. According to him, Southall High Street car park will attract more shoppers, both locally and from further afield, help local businesses thrive better and create more employment opportunities.
The car park is one of the first steps taken to improve Southall. The Council is planning additional major works to improve Southall town centre to make it safer and more accessible for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
“Crossrail will also be stopping here in the future, so this extra parking is coming at the perfect time. I am also very happy to announce that the car park was delivered at half the original projected costs,” Bell said.
Not everyone is pleased with the multi-million pound car park
Ealing resident and Conservative party councillor Phil Taylor pointed that the new Southall car park is being used as a dump already and shared a picture of litter at the car park just days after its opening.
Taylor also added that on Tuesday, September 3, just four days after the car park’s opening, only three cars were parked. “Only three cars using Southall's new £2.5 million car park,” he said. “Genius.”Follow Archana Venkatraman on Google+
- 2017: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2017: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Osterley Gymkhana Indian Independence Day Celebrations 2017: London Indians to mark 70th year celebrations with biggest Indian flag painting
- Watch Delhi bride Amisha Bhardwaj’s funky wedding dance video that is now globally viral
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- London Grenfell Tower Fire – Key facts and pics
- Cannes 2017 Photos: Bollywood’s Deepika Padukone, Aishwarya Ra Bachchan Impress
- Sizzling Deepika Padukone’s special appearance in Raabta title song trends even before release
- Finally! The official trailer of Sachin - A Billion Dreams, on India’s beloved Master Blaster
- Parineeti Chopra’s debut song in Meri Pyaari Bindu shows how multi-talented she is!