Sahara to build International India Centre in London’s Canary Wharf
The Indian centre will become the European HQ to Sahara India and also host Indian businesses and research centres in London. It will create a wide range of employment opportunities for students and local people in the process, the university has said.
It will also give students, local communities and UK businesses an opportunity to work with Indian businesses and break into the growing Indian economy.
The design and building process will start next year.
More like this
The development of an Indian centre in Docklands marks a major milestone in the historic and unique relationship between the UK and South Asia, according to the university.
The IIC will host cultural activities to celebrate South Asia’s contribution to the UK.
The MoU between the educational institution and Sahara comes on the last day of British Prime Minister David Cameron’s visit to India where he aimed to strengthen the business ties between the two countries.
“The development of the International India Centre will be an iconic addition to the Docklands business community and skyline,” said UEL’s deputy vice-chancellor, Dusty Amroliwala.
“The lure of Sahara setting up its European operation at UEL will attract some of India’s most elite students to our university, helping boost recruitment figures and bring inward investment into East London.”
The collaboration will also help the university to establish itself as a university of choice for students in India and South Asia, Amroliwala added.
- Indian cabinet reshuffle October 2012: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios
- Pics, trailer of Jab Tak Hai Jaan song Challa filmed in London
- Sony SAB TV is first Hindi entertainment channel to be available on Freeview in the UK
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- I am not getting married now: Trisha Krishnan
- India's coal mining scandal 2012: The story so far
- 3D adventure film Life of Pi trailer receives 1.5 million hits on first day
- Pictures of Bollywood stars at the 2013 Star Guild Awards show
- Pics: Aishwarya Rai in new L'Oreal ad says 'I'm just a mother with gorgeous hair'
- Indian HN Girisha wins silver medal at Paralympics for high jump
INDIA NEWS BULLETIN by EMAIL
More Lead Stories
- Sahara to build International India Centre in London’s Canary Wharf
- India to launch Saral and six other satellites in a single space mission
- UK’s foreign office minister 'appalled' by Hyderabad bomb blasts
- UK could grant Narendra Modi a visa in May: Indian media
- David Cameron visits 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre site to pay respects