UK’s foreign office minister 'appalled' by Hyderabad bomb blasts
Swire had just spent three days in the country with Prime Minister David Cameron as part of the trade delegation.
“Having just spent three days with the Prime Minister seeing the optimism and opportunities across India, these attacks are a shocking reminder of the terrorist threat this country faces. I condemn this cowardly act of terror,” Swire said.
He added that as agreed between Cameron and India’s Prime Minister Singh, the UK will continue to work closely with India to tackle the threat of terrorism wherever it occurs.
More like this
“I was appalled to hear of the bomb attacks in India today and my condolences go to those injured in Hyderabad and the families of those who lost their lives,” Swire said.
On Thursday, at 7pm local time, two bombs in Hyderabad’s busy neighbourhood Dilsukhnagar led to the death of 16 people and left 117 people injured.
The two blasts were planted on two bicycles 10 minutes away from each other in the largest fruit and vegetable market in the area.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has visited the blast sites today and said that the government had intelligence about bomb attacks but did not have specifics as to when and where they might occur.
Indian PM Singh has appealed for peace and calm after the dismal attacks. While the Indian authorities are investigating who is behind the attacks, no groups have yet taken responsibility.
- Indian cabinet reshuffle October 2012: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios
- Pics, trailer of Jab Tak Hai Jaan song Challa filmed in London
- Sony SAB TV is first Hindi entertainment channel to be available on Freeview in the UK
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- I am not getting married now: Trisha Krishnan
- India's coal mining scandal 2012: The story so far
- 3D adventure film Life of Pi trailer receives 1.5 million hits on first day
- Pictures of Bollywood stars at the 2013 Star Guild Awards show
- Pics: Aishwarya Rai in new L'Oreal ad says 'I'm just a mother with gorgeous hair'
- Indian HN Girisha wins silver medal at Paralympics for high jump
INDIA NEWS BULLETIN by EMAIL
More Lead Stories
- Sahara to build International India Centre in London’s Canary Wharf
- India to launch Saral and six other satellites in a single space mission
- UK’s foreign office minister 'appalled' by Hyderabad bomb blasts
- UK could grant Narendra Modi a visa in May: Indian media
- David Cameron visits 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre site to pay respects